Barney’s Grocery was established in 1954 by Barney and Eleanor Szozda, offering grocery to all in Weyerhaeuser and the surrounding communities. In 1963, Barney began meat processing for local farmers. Sadly, Barney passed in 1967 leaving Eleanor and their two sons, Don and Ron, to continue the family business. In 1981, Don and his wife Virginia purchased the store, and the legend began. Don started experimenting with new sausage recipes, and in 1995 he started selling his homemade meat products such as Kieska, bologna and a variety of beef sticks. The recipes continued to flourish, and the selection has grown over the years. The Barney’s legacy will continue with The Peterson Family. Having purchased Barney’s in September 2018, the Peterson’s will strive to offer the same great products and service with a smile. Stop in and see us all at Barney’s Meats in Weyerhaeuser, Wisconsin.
N3770 5th St,
Greetings from the Peterson family! We are the thrilled new owners of Barney’s Meats.
Our family started out milking cows and raising crops on a farmstead near Deronda, Wisc., in the 1930s. We continued to milk until the 1960s - and added land near Dresser and East Farmington, Wisc., as the family grew. In 1969, we diversified into cattle, pigs, and broiler chickens. We began to direct-market our product to neighboring families through local butchers.
We’re excited to extend our family operation to Barney’s, and we look forward to serving the Weyerhaeuser area.